Introduction of Gilgit Baltistan:
Gilgit Baltistan has the unique distinction of being the convergent point of the three mightiest mountain ranges in the world, namely, the Himalaya, Karakoram and Hindu Kush. These ranges have many of the world’s highest peaks and the world’s largest concentration of glaciers outside the Polar Regions.Nature has bestowed Gilgit Baltistan with pristine beauty, high peaks, snowy mountains, fresh water lakes, lush green fairy meadows, at the same time this area is also blessed with unlimited and heavy deposits of precious and semi-precious stones, precious & semi-precious metals, and industrial stones like Ruby, Gold, Topaz, Aquamarine, Tourmaline, Epidote, Paragasite, Zircon, Actinolite, Lead, Moonstone, Himalayan Quartz, Emerald, Marble, Granite, Feldspar, Mica, Calcite, Feldspar, Antimony, Graphite, Alum, Coal, Copper, Barite, China Clay etc. It is estimated that almost 95% of the precious & semi-precious stones located in Pakistan are found in Gilgit Baltistan.
Establishment of Gems & Jewellery Training & Manufacturing Center (GJTMC) Gilgit Baltistan
Despite of the heavy gems and mineral wealth, there was no coordinated effort to reap these natural benefits through promotion of awareness about gems, skill development and market information and facilitation to the miners. The lack of a credible institution was very much felt in the public and government circles when Pakistan Gems and Jewellery Development Company (PGJDC) launched a project under the name of Gems & Jewellery Training & Manufacturing Center (GJTMC) Gilgit in March, 2008. GJTMC Gilgit under the supervision of PJGDC aims to achieve excellence through improvement of human resource skills as well as extending its productions in Pakistan and in the world. GJTMC Gilgit is equipped with latest Japanese, German and Sri Lankan Lapidary Machines and Gemological equipment. The latest machinery, experienced faculty, cooperative staff,exposure of the live mines of Ruby, Aquamarine, Tourmaline, Topaz, Quartz, Spinal and other gemstones and most scenic beauty of the area makes itas the best training institute in Pakistan.
Address:Gems & Jewellery Training & Manufacturing Center (GJTMC)
Pakistan Gems Jewellery Development Company (PGJDC)
Zakir Complex Opp New Gilgit Baltistan Secretariat Jutial Gilgit, Pakistan 15100.
Tel (Off): 05811-920537-8
Email: Click Here
Name of Faculty Member Specialization Experience
Mr. Abdul Rahman, B.Sc (Hons) Geology,
Qualified from AIGS Bangkok, Thailand Senior Gemologist 35 Years
Mr. Syed Asif Hussain, M.Sc Geology
Qualified from AIGS Bangkok, Thailand Gemologist 3 Years
Mr. Ali Murtaza Shad Asst.Gemologist 3 years
Qualified from University of Peshawar, BS (Geology)
Mr. Touqir Ali Jadoon, B.A,
Qualified from Gemstone Corporation of Pakistan Lapidary In charge 28 Years
Mr. Mohammad Sharif, B.A,
Qualified from GGIP Peshawar & GJI Colombo, Sri Lanka Faceting Instructor 4 Years
Mr. Mohammad Ali, B.A
Qualified from GGIP Peshawar Carving Instructor 2 Years
Major Achievements of GJTMC Gilgit:
1.Total 54 training programs have been conducted up to June 30, 2012. Total numbers of participants in the trainings were 899.
2. Joint Project with FDA. Conducted exclusive training for FATA students in collaboration with FDPLD.
3. Joint project with Minerals Development Department Gilgit Baltistan. One Year Diploma program on LAPIDARYstarted from March 2010.
4. Joint project with UNIDO. 03 Months Lapidary Training Program started w.e.f 20th October 2011 and finished on 30th January 2012. Total 40 female students participated in this training program.
5. Imparted Gemstone Faceting carving, Gemology and Manual Jewellery designing Training to at least 832 students and the number is continuously increasing.
6. Successfully conducted 2 months Mobile Lapidary Training for 40 students of Skardu Baltistan during the months of April & May 2011.
7. Lapidary In charge GJTMC Gilgit has modified Form Grinding Machine for calibration of stones. Now the Form Grinding machine will not only perform Grinding of stones but it will also be used to calibrate stones.
8. Gem Labis also operational on commercial basis for identification and certification of gemstones of customers.
9. Other commercial facilities for specimen dressing, cabochon cut, cutting faceting and polishing of gemstones are also available at the centre.
10. Seminars are being conducted on Gemstone Identification for male as well as female Students.
11. Proposal of 03 Months Training to the nominees of Karakuram International University under their vocational development program is under discussion for further proceedings.
12. Signed Memorandum of Understanding with Benazir Income Support Program, Government of Pakistan, to impart Training to the beneficiaries of BISP. The first proposal of the training is named VOCATIONAL TRAINING IN LAPIDARY comprising of three courses i.e. Gemstone Identification, Gemstone Cutting & Polishing & Gemstone Carving.